DUI / DWI Representation

You thought you were OK to drive. You only had a couple of drinks with dinner, or were out at a party with some friends. But now, you are stopped on the side of the road, and a police officer is about to arrest you for DWI. What should you do?

First, you should always cooperate with the police. In New Mexico, when you drive a car, the law says you have given consent for the police to do field sobriety tests and / or give you a breath or blood test. It’s called “Implied Consent.” If you do not cooperate with the officers, they can charge you with an “aggravated” DWI, for refusing the breath test. An aggravated DWI means more potential jail time than if you do cooperate. It’s always best to do the tests the officers ask you to do.

Second, you do NOT have to tell the officer or the judge if you have any previous DWI convictions or arrests. If they ask you, just tell them that you will address that issue through your attorney.

Finally, you should call The Law Office of Michael E. Cain to represent you. Mr. Cain has over twelve years of experience in DWI law. He worked primarily as a DWI prosecutor for over three and one-half years, and has been in private practice, doing DWI defense for over seven years. During that time, Mr. Cain has worked on hundreds of DWI cases. Also, Mr. Cain was certified by the Las Cruces Police Department in 2001 on the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests (S.F.S.T.’s). This is important because your attorney should know as much or more about the law than the police.

At The Law Office of Michael E. Cain, we carefully scrutinize your case. First, we interview the officers and see if there are any motions which we can file to have the charges dismissed. If we can’t get the charges dismissed, we will work with the District Attorney to get you the best possible resolution to your case.

Further, we will represent you at all hearings in your matter, including the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division License Revocation hearing. When you are charged with a DWI in New Mexico, the State gets two chances to revoke your driving privileges. The first chance is with an administrative driver’s license revocation hearing with the N.M. Motor Vehicle division. The second is by the sentence in the actual DWI case. You need an attorney to represent you in both hearings, and to make sure your rights are protected.

Give us a call. The costs are probably more reasonable than you might think, especially given the harsh penalties for D.W.I.’s in New Mexico. We start at $2195.00 (plus costs and NM Gross Receipts Tax) for a first offense / simple DWI case. We accept all major credit cards, and we will work with your budget if necessary.

Give yourself some peace of mind. Pick up the phone and call an experienced attorney to help you with your DWI / DUI charge. Don’t let the worry and stress cause you more problems, and know that you have hired someone who will do everything legally possible to protect you.



Consultations $100.00  Credit cards accepted.

Se Habla Español

Law Office of Michael E. Cain, LLC
Pueblo Plaza Center

1100 S. Main St., Ste. 201

Las Cruces, New Mexico  88005

Phn: 575.541.6110

Email: Mike@southernnmlaw.com

From offices in Las Cruces, New Mexico, the Law Office of Michael E. Cain, LLC, serves clients in Silver City, Deming, Lordsburg, Alamogordo, Truth or Consequences, Hobbs, Carlsbad, Ruidoso, Roswell.  We also serve clients in Dona Ana County, Grant County, Luna County, Sierra County, Otero County, Lincoln County, Eddy County and Chaves County.